View Single Post
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I'd like to pre-announce Qt Tablet Encoder (or QTE, pronounced as cutie), which is a media conversion tool geared towards tablets.

A short preview is available no longer present available again at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJM0o7j4Rw

EDIT: Our trigger happy friends at youtube removed the video. The vimeo flash upload applet consistently fails on me. So, looking for a video side that might not freak out on an (gasp) open source media conversion tool demo.

EDIT2: Video reinstated. We'll see if it stays on

I'd like to hear your comments and suggestions. Until then, in the spirit of pre-announcing I'm going to pre-answer some of your questions

- Yes, the dog ate the end of clip. Nothing serious is missing, just the answer to life, the universe and everything.
- It's in Qt4. I like Qt.
- It's completely written in Python. I like Python.
- I know about tablet-encode, knots and alike, and they're all great, but not quite what I needed, a parallelized, quick, clean and desktop integrated solution for ALL media.
- I know it has big buttons. A possibility is running this UI on the tablet as a remote front-end so you could 'request' converted stuff to your tablet (not just uPnP, but images, books, and other goodies).
- The demo uses a mplayer/mencoder backend, but it's pretty detached so you could fit in any backend you want. This is also how I plan on using this to convert images, sound, books, you name it.
- I develop on Linux, but it could be made to work on Windows and MacOS X with minimal effort - it doesn't even have binaries afterall, so the only question is the availability of the backends.
- I didn't cheat, I really detect the tablet model and location via USB descriptors
- I didn't cheat, the live preview live shows live recompression live output. Live.
- Made with WingIDE from http://www.wingware.com . They gave me license as an OSS developer, so they deserve the plug.
- It's not ready for prime time yet, if I released it today, it might burn your house down, make your cat explode and drive your girlfriend crazy (not necessarily in that order). Patience.
- Sorry about my squeaky-English, it's my third language, still working on it.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-04-12 at 10:21.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: