View Single Post
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I have some questions about spoofing the iPhone in tear.

I used the useragent I had used in MicroB to spoof iPhone and I pasted it into tear's user_agent string in Options:

Mozilla/5.0 (N8x0 like iPhone; U; Linux like Mac OS X; ARM; en) AppleWebkit/420+ (Gecko, like KHTML)
It does make websites regard my N800 as an iPhone.

In GMail, that means, in horizontal view, I have to magnify to 200% for it to fill the width of the screen; and I have to magnify 130% for it to fill the screen in vertical mode. But, in vertical mode, if I magnify more than that, to read the text more easily, there is sometimes no wordwrap, and I have to scroll sideways. Also, if I scroll to the bottom of a long email, or to the bottom of the first page of my inbox, the view bounces back to the top of the page. I cannot hold a view at the bottom of a long page. Is this what other users are experiencing?

In MicroB, if I wanted to go back and forth between the Regular useragent and the iPhone useragent, I could click on a bookmark that did almost all of it automatically. What I do in tear currently is open Options, go to a text file where I have the desired useragent string, copy it, return to Options and paste it in. Is there an easier way to switch useragents that I have overlooked?

(Fortunately, tear is so good now as a near-standard-desktop browser for the Tablets, that, if it isn't easy to do, I won't generally miss spoofing the iPhone to get those truncated website renderings.)

(Also, in addition to a General Thanks for tear and the recent update, Special Thanks, Bundyo, for Select All and for auto-select of the URL in the address bar.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post: