View Single Post
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by notnarb View Post
So I own a 2nd gen touch but I need to know...
2. multitasking is fine, as long as you don't use too much memory (if you do swapping will stop the device to a crawl)
3. linux distributions: I use easydebian and it works great, only problem is that those distros are not adapted to tiny touchscreens. Mer, on the other hand, is.
4. forget about ultracheap ebay batteries, you'll get what wou pay for. mugen batteries are cheap enough and have been reported to work fine.
5. bluetooth works fine for whatever you want to use it.
6. developing is quite easy if you use python. Of course, you can use almost whatever you want (c, c++, vala...)
7. How long can I expect to wait for a GPS lock? (This is coming from someone who owns a gps which on a good day finds its position in 10 minutes)
[/quote]
Usually 1-3 min once agps is installed. Some people do not get this results, but I think their device is faulty.
I'm still not 100% on how GPS works on the n810, can maps be stored on the device or do I need to be next to a wifi hotspot each time I change my destination? Are turn by turn directions supported (outside of the 130 dollar app)?
Maps are stored in the device, even with maemo mapper (you have to download them, though)
Turn by turn directions are supported by navit (but you may not find good maps for navit)
8. How matured are emulators for the device? (Save states, 2 player, full speed, etc)
That depends on what you want to emulate, the device is not very powerful so you can't emulate fast machines. Those which I've tested worked nicely.
9. Is the community dieing? Will full linux distro support save it? What is the likely hood of n810 users being able to upgrade to n900 software to keep with the community?
The community is the best thing about these devices.
10. Wardiving is a no-go, correct? (oh who am I kidding: closed source wifi drivers = no WEP cracking, right?)
promiscuous mode works fine, no packet injection. A free driver is in the works, but it is alpha quality and development seems to have stagnated last couple of months.
10.5 Wifi strength? better/ worse then an ipod touch?
No idea, don't have an ipod touch.
11. Where could I feasibly go to a store to try one out?
No idea, try a Nokia store. I bought mine in ebay.
About battery life, it is 7 hours playing music/video. Playing streamed music it is down to 3 hours. Playing streamed video, down to 2 hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post: