View Single Post
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Step-by-step GVM, continued:

3. Make a backup of your original gvm.store file by typing these commands in X Terminal (one of the programs that should be already installed on your tablet):

Code:
cd /home/user/.gvm
This moves you into the directory where the gvm.store file is located.

Code:
cp gvm.store gvm.store_orig
This will copy your original gvm.store to a backup copy called "gvm.store_orig".

4. Figure out how many gvm.stores you need. For myself, I had at least eight tabs on ZLauncher on my Palm TX. I created eight different gvm.stores numbered in this way:

Code:
cp gvm.store gvm.store_10
cp gvm.store gvm.store_20
etc.

Make sure you write down somewhere what each of these gvm.store files will contain. For example, gvm.store_10 initially contained my medical files, but I had to add more gvm.store files later when I ran out of memory: gvm.store_11, gvm.store_12, etc.

5. Now, create scripts to launch each of these gvm.store files. The scripts will also help you register the desired HotSync ID in each of your gvm.store files.

Open your preferred text editor (Notepad in Windows will work, in addition to those mentioned above). Enter the following text:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/gvm/gvm -g gvm.store_10 -O -z 1.5 -L 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000 -f -i D050 -a Filz -n PN12A345B6CD -u "John Doe:1234"
[Note: the text including /usr/bin/gvm/gvm... and following should ALL be on ONE line in your script; no returns for that line].

Save this file as Filez.sh or choose your own name with ".sh" as the extension.
These gvm command in this script has several options. You can get an explanation of these options at:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12297

The -L 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000 option above is set to create a black background (thanks dfinch!). The -i option tells the gvm that this device should emulate a Palm TX. You can get a list of these at: https://pdnet.palm.com/regac/pdn/Pal...8h-source.html (thanks BoxofSnoo!).
The -a option chooses to launch the Filez program. You can find these four-letter "Creator Codes" using Filez on your Palm device. The -n option lets you specify your serial number. You can find your Palm device serial number on the back of your device or using Filez. I was able to get Mobipocket Reader to generate the same PID number (necessary for paid Mobipocket ebook registration) as my Palm TX using the same serial number and HotSync ID. Unfortunately, launching this script does not permanently "set" the serial number in the gvm.store. The serial number will be set back to default if you try to run this gvm.store from the GVM Launcher program.
The -u option is the most important for getting your GVM to HotSync successfully. You should enter the HotSync ID that you desire. The four-digit number after the HotSync ID can be "1234". I did find a four-digit number in one of my Palm TX's system files using Filez that I use for my own gvm.stores. I don't know if it makes a difference which one you use.

6. After you save the file, then, in X Terminal, type these commands:

Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
This is the directory where your *.sh file should be found--it is the same as your main Internal Flash directory.

Code:
chmod +x Filez.sh
This makes the Filez.sh an executable file. Remember, the name is case-sensitive.

Code:
sh Filez.sh
This will execute the *.sh file and launch the GVM. After it launches, use Filez to verify that the HotSync ID is set correctly. Then, hit the Escape button to exit the GVM.

7. Prepare to HotSync each of your gvm.store files.
First, you need some way to switch between the gvm.store files so that, when you launch the GVM Launcher, it will be "tricked" into seeing one of your alternate gvm.store's as the main gvm.store file.

Start your text editor and enter this script to choose your gvm.store (this is my modified version of burmashave's scripts):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/user/.gvm
rm gvm.store
ln -s -b gvm.store_10 gvm.store
This script removes the current plain gvm.store file using the "rm" command. The "ln" command creates a symbolic link between the gvm.store and your own alternate gvm.store_10 file. The -s option makes this a symbolic link (aka "symlink") and the -b option is supposed to create a backup of the gvm.store_10 file.
With a symbolic link, the anything that the NIT software does to the gvm.store file will ACTUALLY be done to the gvm.store_10 file.

Save this file with the .sh extension, for example, you can name it "GMed.sh". Make it executable with the chmod command:

Code:
chmod +x GMed.sh
Then run it:

Code:
sh GMed.sh
After it is run, then launch your Garnet VM Launcher and it should load your gvm.store_10 file instead of the gvm.store file.

To be continued...

Last edited by Palmleavr; 2009-05-06 at 18:07. Reason: clarification

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Palmleavr For This Useful Post: