View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
All the talk about carrier locked phones is strange. Nokia is probably the largest seller of unlocked mobile phones in the US and definitely in the world. They are the only major manufacturer to supply chains of brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy Mobile and CompUSA (RIP) with unlocked phones here in the US. Sony Ericsson does a few models but nowhere near the scope of Nokia.

I can virtually guarantee that if there is a version of the N900 being sold via T-Mobile there will be another sold unlocked. I think that devices that are developed in conjunction with a carrier are the only ones that are exclusive and locked to a carrier. I can only think of the E62, E71x and the upcoming Mako as devices that fall into this category from Nokia. I also think that the unsubsidized price within one or two months of launch will be no more than $450 judging by the recent fall in price of premium devices from Nokia.
Unlocked doesn't mean that a particular handset's radio will work with every carrier.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-05-28 at 23:12.