View Single Post
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
In both cases they would have to get close to you (10 meters) (yes I know about the special long-range narrow-angle BT cracker's antenna.. not very practical for war-driving really).)
Even without special antennas... within 10 meters of where I live, charge my phone, etc., there are 6-87 other homes (and also at least have some degree of tech gadgetry, and are sophisticated enough to use better than WEP protection on their wifi access points ... and actually have it turned on). And I don't even live in any kind of ultra-high density housing -- I'm in a front/3br unit of a 4plex condominium, with two other such units close by. And this doesn't even count all of the people from the surrounding condos who park in or near my building.

Further, I'm within 10 meters of a semi-busy road (in the heart of silicon valley, not far from Ebay's headquarters ... so it wouldn't surprise me to have war-drivers going by regularly), I travel along busy roads on my commute, and I work on campus at a university ... across the parking lot from the computer science/computer engineering building (ie. every student hacker, whether they're curious vs malicious).

AND ... I work, indirectly, with personal information (I don't work with it directly, but the systems I maintain at work do store it). So, my job requires me to be diligent/paranoid about my devices being secured ... and one of my main uses for my pocketable device is: emergency remote maintenance of my servers.

10 meters is not a "safety" zone for me. If I could tell all of my BT devices to truly be a personal area network (1-1.5 meter max range), that'd be different. But 10 meters? way too big.