Thread: 770 vs n800
View Single Post
Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by seoul_suicide View Post
ahah no problem

OK lastly before I finally buy here are my options so if anyone would like to recommend which one I should get one last final time:
(in order of my preference)

1) Nokia 770
2) Nokia n800
3) Archos 604 WIFI

seoul_suicide:

As a Nokia 770 ' User ' (not a N800 Owner, not a Software developer not a Software person), I would suggest that you decide what you are going to use the Nokia IT for. If you just want to use the Nokia IT to surf the Web but not spend too much money doing it then the Nokia770 will be really useful.

I say this after using the Nokia 770 since Jan 2006. Indeed many good people had multiple Opera crashes, WSOD (White Screen of Death) flashing issues, Screen cracking (mostly due to User Error) issues etc. Honestly I have experienced none of these so far. Like I mentioned in another of my posts here, the initial batch of Nokia 770 was very good hardware ( mine was made in Estonia ). Then later on, some lower quality Display screens were produced. I like to think that the Users who experienced WSOD issue etc had received the later batch and the lower quality machines. Again like mentioned by other users here the N800 is new with faster Processor and more memory, but if you have to tread carefully all the time with it then it does not meet its " Internet Tablet “ purpose. Going around with a Nokia N800 would be like carrying a cup of Coffee (my favorite beverage) filled to the brim and trying to dance a Tango. The Nokia 770 on the other hand with its hard Aluminum Slip Cover and the Nokia Fabric Cover allows one to walk around with in ones pocket along with Car keys, Coins, Screwdrivers etc. This ease of carrying the Nokia 770 would itself mean that it serves its purpose as an Internet Tablet very well. It would mean that the Nokia 770 is a lot more mobile in its true sense then a Nokia N800.

So far the lower memory and the Lower CPU speed of the Nokia 770 has not bothered me at all. I think that as mentioned by Nokia, the main purpose / use of the IT is to surf the Web and so far, for me it does that very well.

I did not buy it thinking that eventually I will listen to Mp3s or watch Video Files on it.

I did not buy it thinking that I will use it for my work purpose. I don’t feel the need to create Excel Spreadsheet / Word Documents / Powerpoint Presentations / Access Databases on it.

I do not need to write Novels and Poems on it and think of myself as the next Shakespeare.

I do not need to try to become the next Bill Goats by using it to develop the next " WindHell " or other Software Programs.

I just need it to Surf the Web, on the go, to use it as an Internet Tablet. To this purpose, it serves me very well. Using ‘ Gaim ’ I can chat with friends. I created come bookmarks that allow me to go directly to the Websites that I often use. I can Bluetooth into it using my Phone to go to the Internet when Wi-Fi is not available. What else do I need?

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-01-15 at 15:09.