View Single Post
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Audio (the network is really slow here and I'm not able to test it, let me knoe whether the file works please): http://tinyurl.com/lvugfd
It works, but 24' later[1] I'm still confused :-(

I don't have strong feelings about either toolkit, but the switch (as opposed to both being available and equal) doesn't make sense to me. Apparently (11:48 onwards) the main driver for this seems to be cross-platform compatibility in general, and with SymbianOS in particular. That's a bit... naive to say the least. Portability is a lot more than skin deep, and there vast differences between the two OSs in basic things like file and network I/O, process control and signalling etc[2]. Even more significantly, the middle layer (d-bus, bluez, telepathy, gstreamer and so on on the Maemo side) is completely different. I'm sorry, but "recompiling and it more or less works" (17:26) just isn't going to happen for anything more complex than "Hello, world".

On the other hand GTK+ is reasonably cross-platform and there's even a port to Symbian OS underway. Glib has already been ported by Nokia too. Dropping GTK+, Hildon, all existing official apps[3] etc for "cross-platform compatibility" sounds like something that could only be imposed on the Maemo team from above by someone who has no real understanding of the technologies and issues involved[4].

Anyway, since it's fait accompli now, one question that becomes particularly important for prospective developers is: will Maemo 5 devices run Harmattan?

[1] Whatever happened to text btw, you'd think news as big as this would rate an announcement on maemo.org at least
[2] P.I.P.S. is incredibly buggy and if anyone considers it for production use they're in for some very interesting times.
[3] I don't envy Andre the reaction to the inevitable "WONTFIX for Harmattan"[5] storm
[4] But it does finally explain the castration of input methods :-(
[5] Not to mention the also inevitable regressions and new bugs introduced by rewriting everything for no good reason.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: