View Single Post
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I've been a Skype user for a long time. I use Skype more than any other phone service these days. What, if any, benefits are there to switch to Gizmo (and is there any integration points to Google Voice that Gizmo has that Skype doesn't?)?
First and most important is that it would be free for calling and receiving phone calls. Skype you have to pay for skype out and skype in number. Not to mention you have free SMS with Google Voice. Using Dialcentral and adding Google Voice Notifier Alpha, this has be the best ever.
Second, using the built in client is very light weight and always running in the background. The skype app doesn't want to log in automatically when changing wifi spots. with the client it logs in as soon as the NIT is connected.
And now you can still call skype users with gizmo for free(just keep it under a 5 minute call) using opensky.

I was a heavy skype user for calling phones while traveling. But for longer phone calls skype tended to start getting choppy. I haven't noticed that yet with SIP using Gizmo.

Last edited by icbolsh; 2009-07-18 at 07:46. Reason: insert link