View Single Post
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I'd like to add a few things, before people here start idolizing the Newton for the wrong reasons (there's nothing against idolizing for the right reasons, though!):

- The Newton Connection Utilities have been mentioned. Actually, next to Sony Ericsson's "synching" software, they are the worst I've ever used! NCU only ever worked properly with a Mac, the Windows version was buggy as heck and was never fixed by Apple. And the only reason NCU worked, was because it is almost as basic as you can imagine (Read the part about file structures in Sean Luke's article). Still, even then the Newton did better than the Nokia NXXX line...

- "MichaelandJones" writes about several Newton models, including his OMP. It is, in light of Nokia's new model, prudent not to forget that the Newton line only ever became truly useful and magnificent with the MessagePad 2100 (and got canned less than a year after that model's appearance). The early models had bad HWR, annoyingly slow processors, lack of storage (only one PCMCIA slot) and buggy software. It's interesting to see how the Newton's history is now repeated, at a much faster pace!, by the Nokia NXXX line. I only hope Nokia never fired their equivalent of Steve Jobs and are now thinking about getting him back!

- For me, the only thing that makes the Newton worthwhile (to a degree that I'm still using my 2100 almost dayly), is its User Interface. All the rest -- including the great HWR -- has been repeated on other platforms (the Newton's HWR as available as a commercial product for Windows: PenOffice. Try it if you have a tablet pc, and then buy it ).