View Single Post
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Technically you're not paying for it since the cost of your service does not change regardless of whether you sign a contract or not. Sure the cost of "subsidized" phones are part of the underlying service cost, but the phone companies could care less if you walk in with a unlocked phone since you'll still be paying the same monthly cost as someone on contract. They probably like you more since they would have made more of a profit.

I agree the status quo isn't good, but don't pretend the options with the N900 are any different than the Pre or iPhone. The only crime here is cell phone manufacture artificially price the unlocked devices high to force you into a carrier.
The fact that my monthly service costs are the same whether I bring my own unlocked phone or get a "leased" one makes it, in my mind, more criminal. I should get a discount on my service costs. The cost of a phone is imbedded in there. TANSTAAFL.

In fact, go to AT&T's web site and look. They actually have changed their rules lately. If I'm not at the point in my contract where I can get a "discounted" upgrade, I am welcome to purchase a phone (not unlocked, though) from them at the "no discount" price. Still gotta pay the same monthly rate.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post: