View Single Post
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
So, as usual with Maemo, we have a problem. It would seem that, based on the published specifications for the N900, the next device does not support any AT&T 3G bands, and is limited to only T-Mobile 3G support.

There are two problems with this:

First, it means that Nokia has chosen to only support the major US carrier with the worst cellular coverage (T-Mobile 3G coverage is practically non-existent where I live) and, in particular, the worst 3G coverage.*

Second, it means that those of us who are stuck on AT&T plans (2 iPhones on my plan) have no option but to cope with EDGE (not very likely considering how much emphasis Nokia has placed on 3G connectivity in Fremantle) or switch to a new T-Mobile plan (for significantly more money a month) and wish fervently for T-Mobile to put up more towers in our area.

Basically, my question (or plea, at this point) is whether the specs posted are accurate and final (and I'm screwed) or if there's the chance that we will see AT&T 3G support in another variant or new device? If not, this may very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as my and my relationship with this platform goes.

*The cynical side of me (Nokia has done a really good job of encouraging my cynical side. . . .) says this was a requirement from T-Mobile to carry the phone.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: