View Single Post
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
One

Two

Three

The semantics in play isn't that it will be delivered, it seemed as if it had been delivered.

But if you read Ryan's statements closely - which I had to go back and read his tweets about it, the confusion stops with this one statement "Once we get the runtimes out for Flash Player 10..."

Keyword: Once

The announcements of what is delivered and what will be delivered are a bit vague if you're speed reading.
Yes, this is the point I've been making - it hasn't shipped with FP10 yet, but will do. It's easy to misinterpret the press release by reading it too quickly and jumping to conclusions (as is the case with links one and most definitely three although link two does eventually spell it out correctly despite the tendentious title: it's Flash 9 now - still a first for Android - and Flash 10 next year)

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Now with that said, the runtimes are forthcoming in the Open Screen Project yet unfortunately I wonder when will the Nokia product get it? Seems like HTC is first in line (as is Android) and despite Nokia being a funded portion of the Open Screen Project, there's no comment(s) on when that would happen.

There is a date for Android. Thus, my true confusion. 9.4 the end of the road, or will they inherit 10.x? And when?
The only confirmed dates are those I've already quoted from the Adobe press releases - ARM FP10 available to manufacturers in second half 2009 (and end users Q1 2010?), with optimised OMAP FP10 available to manufacturers in Q1 2010 with a likely release in H2 2010. No precise dates in relation to Android have been announced by any manufacturer or Google as far as I can tell, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

So coming back to the original issue raised by this thread, it's not Nokia or ARM or Adobe's fault that FP10 hasn't shipped with the N900 as FP10 is clearly still a work in progress and will come in it's own good time.

I don't know - or care - if Android will get it first, my guess is that the various competing manufacturers will all get an ARM build of FP10 around the same time and will release it according to their own schedules. No doubt there will be some kudos being the first with full FP10 but frankly I'd rather have it when it's ready, and the OMAP optimised version should be even better on the N900, so much so that I wouldn't object if Nokia decided to pass on the standard ARM build of FP10 waiting instead for the OMAP optimised version to be ready.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2009-08-31 at 10:31.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post: