View Single Post
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Actually you CAN keep up to date with all these sites while only following maemo.org, that's what the aggregator is for.
There's more than a little confusion about this, reflecting maemo.org's makeup, I guess.

1) Maybe planet used to mean "the whole thing" and aggregator "something that brings different things or people together, into a total, mass, or whole" [pace encarta].

The maemo.org aggregation page, however, states that "maemo.org is for developers and power users" so "[w]riters specializing on end user topics are only accepted exceptionally."

2) I started a blog as a place to make material I'm creating for a printed book available online, without charge. The book is a guide to the N900.

Since I didn't want to presume upon my past association with Reggie, when he told me about starting the Maemo Talk blog I figured whatever I blog about Maemo or Nokia should be posted to my own blog (separate from the print-book content).

Since the blog went live last night, the first and only item there says no more than This is a new site, so there's no content here; visit maemo.nokia.com for information. Immediately four "thumbs down" votes were cast at planet.maemo in disapproval of this item.

It's hard to imagine a more innocuous blog post, so I take these votes to be ire at the aggregator including a site not aimed at developers and power users.

3) In another thread here, a blogger noted that he had reservations about the N900 (the topic of the thread) and had already posted them. He didn't repeat himself; he supplied a link to what was already online. For this, eleven (!) members of the maemo community excoriated him, calling him a spammer.

Aren't we being a little touchy when blogs on another site are condemned so readily? Since when has a non-commercial link to pre-existing content deserved this treatment?

To my eye, the karma tools — never especially pure — less and less useful as they are increasingly misused to mean "I agree with your opinion!" instead of "Hey, everybody! Take note: this is good stuff!" We debase ourselves, not just the forums of maemo.org, when opinions rule, not openness and information.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post: