View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Karma is a reputation system that was discussed, implemented and fine tuned within the Maemo community. Like in any reputation system, if you don't like it you can just ignore it, push for improving it or remove it. But this is not the point of this thread.

Karma is one of the elements taken into account in the device programs targetting Maemo contrigbutors. These days we are working on the N900 device program and it's quite evident that developers are ranked with all kinds of distortions and the system seems to praise more the ones talking than the ones coding. Some coders talk a lot, some others don't.

It's too late for any fix now, but it's good to brainstorm for the future. I think we should discuss these ideas thinking on the Maemo 5 timeline, and the implementation should help evaluating the reputation of developers in the near future.

My proposals are not discriminating downloads or evaluations of apps per targeted devices so I don't see the point of discussing something like the N900 price point and the telephony features. There are threads for that already open. Actually the karma system in itself tends to praise the developers that have been here for a long time over the newcomers attracted by the N900, that will start from scratch (but could catch up fast if their apps were great and some of the ideas in this proposal were implemented).

I disabled the private messages in ITT few days after registering, since I don't want to get questions that can be made in public. People that really want to contact me privately can find out pretty easily how to do it. But this is beyond the point of this proposal.

Any other rants you have with Nokia are beyond the point of this proposal. Please get used to see Nokia employees discussing openly about things and keep the discussions on topic no matter what. Creating a new thread linking it from here takes only a little extra effort. Really appreciated.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: