View Single Post
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Please help me to get one thing straight.

OF COURSE there will be zero support from Nokia for usb host mode on the n900. Any announcement of that kind would result in a storm of outraged NIT newcomers who expected a fully USB capable phone and wouldn't know about the host-mode hacks.

So NO ONE from Nokia would ever admit that usb host mode would be possible.

Now let's do a quick reality check.
The N810 has exactly the same USB OTG setup as the n900 (without usb charging). USB host mode works, with a simple modified usb cable.

Both the 770 and the n800 had the option to enter usb host mode. The 770 doesn't even have a clean way of powering external devices and you have to use the power injection hack.

None of the former NITs have a clean, out-of-the-box way of enabling USB host mode, be it for OTG or whatever.

The n900 is much more marketed towards power users and away from hackers. Any announcement of it being possibly able of usb host mode is far less likely.

Now here comes the catch.
USB OTG is quite complicated.
I have read Quim Gil's announcement and the linked technical discussion a few times. As I understand it, there is no hardware support for USB OTG host mode. Which is a different kind of animal than general USB host mode (read: supplying power, negotiating power supply and whatnot).

Personally, i'd have loved being able to plug in a usb stick just using a small adapter. But I have no problem using a little blackbox with power injection.

So what really itches me is: is there a magical command you can enter in xterm and kick the n900 into host mode?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post: