View Single Post
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Encryption is not vulnerable, as long as the person who applies it takes the time to make sure it isn't.

At the time of writing, I don't believe there are any decent encryption suites for Maemo. I'm currently in the process of analysing all the use-cases and will write up a proposal in the not-too-distant future. I do attach a lot of importance to VPN access, but would also like to see some opportunities for the use of soft tokens and such.

Considering the N900 doesn't support USB host mode, my initial thought of using a hardware token is going to be difficult. In response to that, I've been working on getting information with regards to Bluetooth-enabled tokens. That being said, I believe a soft token would make more sense, as it would serve a greater purpose (the soft token could also be used to display the OTP and use that on your laptop, for example).

If you guys have the time, would you be able to write-up your use-cases? VPN access, encryption, etc. How would you see the encryption/decryption process? What about resident keys? Key caching? I'd love to have your input on these points.
Is your focus on a hardware token due to being able to avoid physically typing in something / something that can be separated from the main device? In which case, bantering with other people I've considered something related to automatically happening related to a particular SD card.

I would use a VPN on my phone right now but with traditional pptp it stores your password plain text, which bothers me. Also on the n800 it is quite tedious to enter passwords.