View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
That's a whole other thing though. You were originally talking about: which is pretty clearly an action entirely at odds with the users software freedom in principle, and wouldn't work in practice due to the user having the freedom to have dbus, the kernel, or whatever part of the stack they like, feed your app whatever value is going to make it happy.
The first layer of security I would use is a software app that locates and initiates contact with the service I am providing.

How is that at odds with anything. Plenty of FOS developed software use check sums to verify integrity and to limit distribution.

FOSS doesn't mean free freakin' beer.

Right now some people are moaning about this feature or that not being available on the N900 and at the same time ready to rise up in arms if anyone mentions restricting app distribution because it is open source.

That kind of thinking kind of turns FOSS into a black hole of time suckage...
If you want a feature or service that is not popular or intrinsically motivating for those with the knowledge to develop and provide, you will need to take the time to gain the knowledge and develop it yourself. Once you invested the time and resources in its development and production, you must make it available for free to all those who may have wanted it but did nothing to make it happen.

Good luck with that.

And now for a statement that I'm sure will be acceptable to most...

Free beer for everyone!