View Single Post
Hey all,

I spent last night coding a small app (in Python) that gives the shortest route between any two tube stations. Right now there are some rough edges:

- No user interface
- It is mostly line-agnostic: the algorithm can ask you to switch back and forth between several lines when there is no necessity to do so
- It treats all the lines and stations as in operation

I will attempt to solve the second problem this evening (may or may not be trivial, but shouldn't be too hard) if I have the time. The first problem may be a bigger issue: I never coded any GUI apps for Maemo and do not really have the time (although I might this weekend... we'll see) to get into it. What I was thinking of was a widget-style app with two text fields, a button ("Go!") and a display area to show the route (in text form?), plus another button to bring up a high-resolution tube map if required.

The closures problem may be a bit more tricky. I was thinking of subscribing to the TfL closures email and parsing it, then putting a machine-readable version on a server somewhere. The app would then download this list of closures and implement it in its routing scheme.

Right now the app is not optimised at all, but if the demand is there I am willing to streamline the code as much as I can, which may not be much, and make the code for the "engine" publicly available ASAP.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments/criticisms?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post: