View Single Post
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
That's what I figured, just busting your chops ;-) I think I'd have to go with both answers personally.

The phone functionality has often been described as an afterthought and I think a little polish from Nokia would go a long way for how the device is received in the mainstream. People expect things like MMS and voice dialing these days (and people also don't consider that anyone might have a differing opinion/usage pattern than themselves).

As for the second option, seeing a community developed solution would be really awesome, even if it was in addition to something Nokia came up with. This is one of the things that really drew me to the N900. Every time I browse through this forum and see some cool idea posted, or evolved into a project I'm really impressed and glad that I chose to go with a device like the N900.
I agree. The potential of the N900 is just mindblowing, and to my mind seems better than any other phone out there. If I were a Linux programmer there is no doubt in my mind I would get this unit. The fact is, I'm not, and stillI got interested in it. I was all set to get a WinMo device (still may). I like anything that provides choice.

There are existing features on the N900, such as VOIP calls with web cam that I find really, really convincing and can almost be enough for me to buy the phone outright. There's also a little bit of a revolutionary aspect to it that I believe only a company such as Nokia could make happen (I certainly hope they stick with that VOIP enabled cam), which really appeals to me. The maemo user community is part of that, as well.

However, there are also some omissions on the N900 that just seem daft if they want to have mass appeal, which I believe it will need to be a revolutionary item or killer app, and not just stay within an inner circle of tech savvy people. I do understand that the next gen may be different, but why not make it happen right now?

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-11-14 at 16:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post: