View Single Post
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
I would recommend reading Plasma documentation on why traditional widgets are not enough for "contemporary" UI development. http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Pla...aysOfThePlasma is a good start. Don't know what was behind Maemo 6 UI but to me Plasma's arguments look quite close.

I have seen many commercial applications for Windows done with and without Qt. Trend there is certainly going outside of capabilities of traditional widgets provided by "standard" UI toolkits.
What I would be interested to know is that if QGraphicsView is the way to go, which means not using standard (let's call them e.g. "Desktop") Qt widgets...

Then what exactly is the strongly emphasized cross-platform story of Qt on the UI level (not just Nokia's Maemo and Symbian, but other Qt platforms)?

To maximize cross-platformity, one extreme possibility would be for each and every application to code their own QGraphicsView-based widgets themselves from scratch, but I fail to see the cost-efficiency and UI consistency in such approach.

The Following User Says Thank You to msoini For This Useful Post: