View Single Post
@Garage Battle: If you read Ari Jaaski's blog you'll realize that one of the strategic decisions for the tablet was that it should _not_ have its own gsm card, the whole idea is that it should have good BT and use BT to communicate with whatever device you have in your pocket, for those cases where you're outside of wi-fi range. Keep the N800, update (and keep updating) the phone device as necessary, as new communication technology comes around.

And to me, this makes sense. I use the N800 with my BT GPRS phone, this works much better than with any other device I've tried to use with the phone (certainly better than a PDA uses it). In time, I expect to get cheap 3G through a new phone. Currently I can't get it here. I could get Edge, or wait. Still using the same N800, which is great.

Oh, and the N800 is too big to be a phone, sometimes I wouldn't have been able to bring it where I would need a phone. The phone can be as small as I like, almost, and I most certainly don't want multiple GSM cards and contracts. And with good BT there's no need, fortunately!

In short, I like that the N800 doesn't have a slot for a GSM card. It would have made the device more expensive, and been a less flexible solution too.