View Single Post
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
maemojedi, I see your point and agree with some of them. I, too, don't like how some of the wiser members, instead of explaining the risks, just say, "Its not for you," and leave it at that.

Some people paid $650 to use the N900 as a toy and testbed for hacking, etc. It is OUR device to use as we wish. If someone wants to use it as an ashtray or to level the coffee table, that's their business. I won't be happy until I do brick this thing, in my case. Its a learning tool for me. As long as I'm prewarned, its all good.

Now the senior membership has a point. Bad experiences can lead to outcry and bad morale from the afflilcted, along with disabled devices and lost data. But if someone asks me for a dangerous solution, I'll explain the risks, give instructions on device backup, restoration, and reflashing, advise them to wait for the solution to be refined and moved to extras, and let them decide whether the risk is worth it.

I don't see how you guys can share with each other but not the rest of the community. It creates a subcommunity by definition.

You should never ask for warez, and if you're treated rudely for that, that's what you get. Copyright infringement is major for anyone, and especially Nokia, which is the benefactor of Maemo.org. Steal on your own time, and if you don't know how, do the prison time and learn there like the rest of the real thugs. NES ROMs are protected property, and if you don't own the games, you don't have the right to possess them.

WE, Maemo.org, need to act more mature sometimes. Everyday, there's some punk laughing at someone, calling someone names, acting like they're smarter or superior to another. I know half the guys here were the guys in high school that got locked in lockers, dunked in toilets, and treated like doormats by "the cool kids". A majority here are smart geeks and geniuses, but alot are bitter idiot nerds, hiding behind the veil of anonymity, talking crap they wouldn't were they facing the targets of their barbs. That s**tty culture needs to die fast.

It makes it a pain to deal with sometimes. Its like going to prison (yeah, I've been twice...), and all of the guys in their cells screaming, "I'm gonna make you my b**ch!" but when you see them in person, they're quiet as a church house mouse. This is just wasting time. This is a knowledge base, the OFFICIAL knowledge base. Share the knowledge. We're not as dumb as everyone thinks.

I'm reading a book on programming in C++ and Qt, just because I'm sick of hearing, "If you don't know how to code, don't worry about it" or "If you have to ask, you don't need to know". I'm smart enough to figure out what risks I'll take with my device, and how to reach myself to program. I'm not the only one. We're alot smarter than many assume.

Each one teach one, as we say on the block. Teach, as in tell them the facts, the pros and cons, and let it be...

Now someone laugh, call me a name, tell me how stupid I am, etc. while I'm nowhere near. Just wish I could have the next Maemo Summit in DFW so I could check some of these gum bumpers. Its becoming standard for Maemo.org. Bunch of punk kids can ruin anything.

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Exactly!
Telling normal users to enable red pill mode and telling normal users to use Extras-Devel or Extras-Testing is simply dangerous. Everybody please ALWAYS add a big warning when speaking about these. Also see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=343619
THAT's how you do it. Prewarn them, and then its on them. Some of us don't mind. Symbian Freak was the center of the Symbian hacking movement, and we freely shared that info with the required warnings. Its not that hard. Now some douche will say,"Symbian is far less complex than Maemo" So what?! Stop thinking you know what's best for everyone else. Who are you guys, Steve Jobs?! The iPhone App Approval Committee?!?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: