View Single Post
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
I'm all for helping new users, but I respectfully disagree with that statement. I'm pretty sure the attitude here will remain the "search, then post" attitude. I really can't disagree with that attitude, though. Everyone here is looking for something different. If the volunteers here were to try to spoon-feed everyone, nothing would ever get done. Telling someone to look through a 15 page long thread may be tough on new users, but until we have a huge developer population that can deal with problems on an individual basis, we can't have developers spending too much time answering individual questions. A somewhat simplified how-to by a developer for an application should suffice (I think you mention this later in your post).
I can respect that, definitely, I understand the community has its quandaries too. But as I've said, the opportunity cost of not providing spoonfeeding is the loss of many non-geeky customers. It's the choice of the community, as mentioned earlier - either spoonfeed and allow user base to grow as rapidly as possible, even though each user may not be that independent (and I understand that this can be a burden for the community), or ensure that each and every user is responsible and thus putting off many new users, but in the exchange get a more cohesive community.

You need to choose between the two contesting demands, and decide which is important for you, growth in user base (which drove platforms like iPhone to its success today), or a more tightly-knit community that is slightly more exclusive with more barriers to entry.

Ultimately, your choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to LouisLoh For This Useful Post: