Thread: Anki for N900?
View Single Post
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
I did have a quick go at downloading and running the source. It was a random choice late one night, so I didn't follow it through too well. Basically I think we also need to install some pyqt4 bindings, and possibly some other packages before it'll do much.
I checked out the official Anki forum (well, Google discussion group to be precise), and found the following short thread: http://groups.google.com/group/ankis...ed6e4e2c95a7d6. It says "it will most probably be able to run anki out of the box from the
command line, if you install python2.5-qt-* and download/unpack the
anki source, but new packages for maemo 5 will need to be made for
easy installation from the application manager."

So yes, installing Python first would be required, but apparently it ought to work after that. It'd be great if you could try it

Originally Posted by arono View Post
Ooops forgot about that. Anki seems to have much more features, definitely testing that.

edit:
wow I think you converted me to anki
Glad to be of service ^^

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Are there enough similarities in the two deck formats to write a converter? Assuming neither is in a binary format, I might be able to hack something together if I could get my hands on a sample deck from each program.
I googled around for the possibility of converting an Anki deck to Mnemosyne, but couldn't really find any info on it. I remember I did read somewhere that Anki was supposed to be able to import Mnemosyne files though, which should mean that it's convertable either way - perhaps just that no one has implemented it yet. I'm uploading my Kanji deck Apparently my deck is too big to be uploaded as an attachment, but if you send me your email then I'll send it that way (it's 2Mb as a zip) so that you'll have it at your disposal if you feel like having a go, maybe arono could upload his Mnemosyne deck to see if anything could be done