View Single Post
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
When I was writing the post I started with the word super-user. I adapted my text to fit Maemo Community’s official statement of purpose about the purpose of the Maemo Community in the Intro section which is why I selected the word "developer".
maemo.org (note: not the talk.maemo.org, a.k.a. InternetTabletTalk, portion) began life as a developer site long ago. It has transitioned to a community site, but not all the signs of its previous, "for developers", life have been replaced. Please feel free to point out outdated bits, suggest rewordings, and, if in the wiki, fix them yourself. Filing enhancement requests against the website component in bugs.maemo.org is encouraged, but it's understood that site can be overly complicated.

As a side note, the term often used here in the past for non-developer community members is "engaged users".

What I had in mind are people who's postings tell people they are stupid for having bought the N900, for having believed sales people, and who want features which obviously aren't part of the N900 etc.

They are in a minority, but it can be intimidating - and maybe that's the intention - for newcomers. Furthermore, I can understand that some of these super users/and or developers (whichever, I haven't been around here long enough to tell who's who exactly) do not want to be bothered with clutter and newbie questions, opinions and so on.
Honestly, I've seen more of that behaviour from other new community members than long time ones, but it is shameful either way. I've deleted posts that clearly stepped over the line, but Reggie established a tradition of a open discussion here, without enforced niceness at all times. We're adjusting as the site grows and evolves, attempting to strike a good balance.

Again, use "Report This" when you see fit. I can't be everywhere.

So, how about an update the official statement in the Intro section that caters to both developers, and users?
Please see "maemo.org Intro page (November Sprint)".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: