View Single Post
Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback!

Originally Posted by thp View Post
And here's some more generic feedback after trying out your app:
  • Buttons should be hildon.Button instances (with FINGER size, probably)
  • The gtk.Entry you have should be hildon.Entry (for the styling)
Hmm, I switched to using glade to define the user interface in the mistaken idea that this would make my life easier. If there are hildon specific versions of everything, does that mean i should just give up with glade? or is there some glade ui design software that will let me use hildon objects?

Also, it's not really obvious that the entry box belongs to the "Search" button (in addition to other things). A nicer design would be to open a dialog with a text entry box when the "Search" button is clicked and open the search results in another view (StackableWindow).
This is an interesting one.. I quite intentionally made it this way because I wanted fewer clicks between me and a given function. and I don't like all the opening new window stuff. However I take the point that it is really not a user friendly thing, because you'd probably not *guess* that it worked that way.

When I'm not entering any authentication data, Clicking on "timeline"+"refresh" should probably use a Hildon Note instead of a dialog with the title (and ideally with a 401 error, you could show the login dialog, as this is where most users would want to go in this situation).
I could switch to hildon notes, what is the specific advantage over a dialog?,
I guess I could catch all non-auth responses and drive the login dialog. that said it should go straight to the login dialog on first use now anyway.

The "Exit" button in the appmenu is redundant, as there is the "X" button in the titlebar already.

What does "Invert" in the app menu do?
Yeah, in my current development level both exit and invert are gone. invret used to flip the text colour to try to avoid problems with people having a theme which made the text invisible. Then I switched to pango markup and that stopped working anyway.
I stlil have no idea if the text will obey any theme rules.

The context menu should pop up at the location of the mouse coordinates, and should have the widget name set to "hildon-context-sensitive-menu" to get the correct styling.
good tip on the styling. That said i like the pop-up in the top right, maybe I'll try setting it to pointer location and see how I get on with it.

The "TwitPic!" item should use a hildon file chooser instead of the GTK+ one.
again with the hildon specific stuff. I may just throw away glade ;-(
I would also suggest either opening a new subview for different content (e.g. "Trends", etc..) or at least changing the window title so that the user knows which "mode" he/she is currently in (e.g. "Witter - Search for maebar" or "Witter - Your timeline").
I'll look at changing the window title, because I specifically didn't want to open new windows for the different views.
Oh, and a feature request: Add support for identi.ca

Thanks for the great application - I especially like the "search" functionality, as the only other twitter app that I know of does not yet have this functionality
given that I don't use identi.ca, and my code is hopelessly badly architected, I suspect this one is unlikely. at least for some time. Sorry
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post: