View Single Post
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I've just noticed something I can't seem to find anyone else experiencing. Perhaps its just gone unnoticed until today, not sure.

I let my mother use the N900 to take a picture of some antique furniture she was interested in, and the images came back with a hazy nature in the upper right corner. I rotated the camera and tried for myself, and the same thing.

I'm pretty experienced using similar hardware on other Nokia Nseries devices, and had a feeling it was pooling light from a reflective source. I used to have light bounce off my palm if holding the camera a certain way, so this was expected, but it was the same even with no hand on the left side of the device. So I took another picture with the back cover removed, and the haze disappeared, and image quality more more like what I expected. So it was something on the back cover.

When looking closely while taking photos, the LEDs reflect off the chrome-like bezel around the camera optics and slide, reflecting back into the photo with adverse effects. I'm tempted to try to disassemble and modify the chrome housing, but don't want to ruin my warranty or my new device.

I used a permanent marker on the trial device to make it black, but it still had enough reflective properties to cause the same effect. I'd like to remove the chrome bezel and paint it with some high temperature "barbecue grill" paint, which is flat black and has no reflection, but I'll wait and see if Nokia will be willing to acknowledge this hardware design fault and rectify it themselves. They could make another bezel of the same plastic as the back without any reflective quality and solve it for me. For $589, that isn't too much to ask, is it?

Am I the first and only to notice this? I haven't taken many photos since a 5 mp camera isn't fascinating anymore since I've used Nseries flagships with a similar camera part for two years.
Attached Images

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post: