View Single Post
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Greetings everyone!

I'm in Saltair, Canada (that's on Vancouver Island). I got my N900 on Monday, so I've had it less than a week.

So far my impression is there is much to LOVE about this device and much to be frustrated about too. The hardware is outstanding, but the Phone/PDA/PIM apps lack global integration and consistency.

My main drivers to get the N900 were (a) my Palm Pilot died awhile ago and I really loved/used my Palm Pilot, (b) my Sony Ericsson has truly pathetic PDA/PIM apps, (c) my Sansa Fuze media player is awesome, but it's just another device to carry around and keep charged, (d) my Garmin GPS is great for kayaking (it floats), but it's rather bulky for general walking around--and it uses a lot of power, (e) my DSLR is a great camera, but also too bulky for general walking around.

So I decided it was finally time (and it should now be feasbible) to get an all-in-one PDA/media player/camera/phone/GPS.

KUDOS SO FAR: Amazing display! Surprisingly solid and useable little keyboard. Always connects and syncs via Bluetooth with my Outlook via Nokia PC Sync. The Media Player actually finds all my Win7 media on all my other machines on my LAN--I really did NOT expect that! Fewer dropped/missed calls than with the Sony Ericsson (I'm on Fido).

GRIPES SO FAR: Maps needs a data connection--why can't I just download the North America maps once, like my Garmin? Dynamic web pages, like Google maps, are a nuisance because the address bar keeps popping up. No speed dial feature--I have to search for my VoiceMail number (or maybe I just haven't figured this out yet). Call history doesn't give me call duration. The documentation is poor, leaves far too many unanswered questions.

Cheers!

Brad

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post: