View Single Post
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
PulseAudio is used for the audio system/mixing/routing on the n900.

Compared to other solutions for mixing/routing, PA is quite CPU heavy. The n900 is a beast of a machine, so this isn't as much of an issue, but I have to wonder why for the life of me I cannot get PulseAudio's "killer app" working.

I'm speaking of course of network-transparency, the ability to route audio in PulseAudio over a TCP connection. I've spent many hours banging my head against the device trying to find a way to get pulseaudio-native-tcp working, but to no avail.

Is this intentional? Is there a reason why I shouldn't be able route audio to the n900 from other hosts on my LAN? The module appears to be included, and the config even appears to attempt to load it, but I can't even connect from 127.0.0.1

Getting TCP PulseAudio streams working would also provide a path to get sound working from inside of chroot's like qole's

Without network transparency, what good is PulseAudio? I would be happy to part with a few cpu cycles to gain this added flexibility, but in it's current state the use of PulseAudio on the n900 feels wasteful.

Has anyone made any headway on this?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post: