View Single Post
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for quite a bit of help really.... So please can someone/people who are in the know try to explain and simplify things for me?

I would like to start developing an app / widget .. .and for the un-initiated the Tutorials/wiki/ etc are pretty useless....
(Sorry this is meant politely, i just can't spend a year reading!! - i much prefer looking learning and doing... not the old school book method!)

What i'm trying to say is, where on earth does someone start?
I have vmware up and running, i'm trying to learn linux commands, as even Venomrush's post on setting it up with a few lines of Linux confused me....

I'm used to the laymans programming of, install a gui design it, code it, test it go.... For example, install visiual studio... - the basic package is created for you - and you can insert lines of code and litterally compile and go.

So what steps do i need to go through to get a working widget?

1) Setup the VM environment - done
2) Check the Maemo part loads up in vmware (Yes! - and can get internet)
3) What language? (Ok, dont mind which now, asked that q a few times, but i get stuck at the next bit)

4) What next?

(My guess)
5) Install specific coding api/packages?
6) Code in a notepad?
7) Command line compile?
8)... this goes on and on - as i would not know where to start when it comes to uploading to dev-testing etc....

So as you can probably see i'm soo sooo confused! - and yes i'm probably asking for a noobs guide to doing maemo coding - but i've never had a problem coding in VB/.net/asp, i understand SQL and i can even do some 3d Graphic design... so why am i finding this soooo hard?!

Is there a simple walkthrough for someone like me, step by step and holding my hand to do a Hello World style applciation?

yours sincerely - Confused Maemo-wannabe-developer