View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Adobe has a monopoly on flash and the US government has yet to recognize it IMO.
When flash 10 is used ubiquitously on the internet and you are the only one holding the keys to the various OS's utilizing it then it is a monopoly.

9.4 ceases to become a product, it barely qualifies, anything below that is "not a product" 100% sure.

They have a monopoly. IMO
They need to be forced to release the code by law.
You can already produce *.swf - which has been opened for years - as well as reverse engineer *.swf's - which others have done. What is closed up is *.fla files, those are binary. You can code and compile Flash without even buying their software with other alternatives that produce Flash.

Now, as far as a monopoly, they had to basically fight - and won - against VML, SVG, EVA, Silverlight, Java/JavaFX, UIRA (which disappeared). It's had competition; nothing open or competitor was better (pushed) than Flash.

It would be a monopoly in my humble opinion if they simply gobbled up the others or there wasn't any competition. The lack of good competition doesn't denote a monopoly.

When in doubt, look to Microsoft. They bought out their competition instead of beating them. Macromedia/Adobe basically have the Flash Platform that's been upgraded, extended and marketed in such a way that it has stayed a couple of steps ahead in some areas, easier to implement in quite a few areas, has an easy to use/master IDE and then has options if you decide to not use Adobe products if you choose and still produce full-fledged Flash files.

I can't say the same for Silverlight.

Proprietary... yes. Monopoly? I'm not convinced. And opening it up (I'm curious) to accomplish what exactly? I think that's what the Open Screen Project wishes to do - keep Flash in the hands of everybody by actually working with the vendors to keep the experience the same across the board.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: