View Single Post
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Kathy, yes, sci-fi does seem to be on a par with gadgets as a magnet for people who take these things too seriously.

I should stress that I'm not just talking about Maemo-bashers, but the entire attitude of thinking that we have to take sides. Practically every gadget I've ever used has had at least something that other gadgets can learn from, but "haters" want us to completely disown whatever it is they hate.

If we start dismissing a device purely to make our own favourite look good, we're going to miss out on potential improvements. Really we should look at device variety as a good thing because it provides a constant flow of new ideas. And if you look at what professionals say in interviews, it's pretty much the same thing: they welcome newcomers in a market because it provides everyone with a new perspective on how to do things.

It's only the fans, marketers and media that turn this into something bitter, but the actual developers and engineers just want to do the best they can. If we're serious about the community helping to create a better platform, then we need to be more like the engineers/developers and less like the fans/marketers.

The other thing is, different people have different needs, tastes and budgets. There is never ever going to be a single device that suits everyone. Some people on here fail to recognise this diversity of needs.
You know, if you swapped 'platform/device in that post for religion/philosophy/world-view, you could post it on any liberal theology forum.

The problem is that many people never got beyond "This is right for me so you must be wrong" to find "This is right for me - what's right for you?"

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
as we talk about constructive criticism, I've received a private message from our friend "mysticrokks", entitled "******" with the following content: "you are one sad *****

get a life "

I think that this is a good example what not constructive criticism is.

Have a nice day!
I wonder how much of that is because some people have come to believe that that sort of language and content is the norm for internet communication. I have certainly met people who were perfectly pleasant in real life who mutated into monosyllabic flamers in front of their screens. The anonymity of the net allows people to be rude in ways they never would to one's face. It is, sadly, one of the down-sides of this form of communication.

The best advice is to completely ignore it: there's not much point in engaging that sort of content. And don't let it get you down - anyone who has to resort to that sort of stuff has a poor command of vocabulary. (I used to know someone who could write flames in language even I had to look up )

One of the ways Maemo.org can reduce it is by encouraging the Meet-ups. People are much less rude once they've met you.

(Small warning - I'm hatching a plan for a UK users meet - that's users, not devs, just for a day out togther) ((Edit - I don't mean devs won't be welcome just that the plan is to focus on what n900 can do, not how to develop for it. Possibly some sort of treasure hunt event in the spring))

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2010-01-06 at 09:05.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: