View Single Post
Originally Posted by dwould View Post
Having done some development for maemo now I would have to echo some of the comments here that it is very hard to do useful things.
By which I mean there is plenty of doc that get you as far as hello world. But that's about it.
the api documentation does suck. I've found myself looking at the doc for certain hildon types asking 'what does this actually DO' no pictures, no description of what it's for, just the contructor and some method names.
I agree. I'm trying to use Qt/C++ and up to Hello World, things look very promising when it comes to documentation. But after that, it becomes really tricky. It seems that in the Qt documentation is based on the assumption that after you have mastered the Hello World, you have suddenly become a professional programmer who can figure everything out just by looking at the constructor. After all, simple examples on how to use the different classes are only meant for sissies!

Unfortunately, I seem to be one of these "sissies". I've never used any other framework than .NET. And coming form that world, I really do miss the plethora of simple code examples on how to do different things. That is. other than just the Hello World.

To make the matters worse for me, I chose to start using C++ which is a bad move, since all the documentation it is assumed that everyone who uses C++ has already done so for at least several centuries if not for millenniums. Before starting to develop for Maeomo, Visual Basic (yes, I already told that I am a "sissy" ) was more than enough for my needs. Since I had to learn a new language anyway, I thought I learn a good one which is useful on many platforms.

But I fear things are going to become only worse for me, because of Nokia Web Runtime and QML. I'm afraid that Nokia will assume that beginners want to use these and Qt with C++ is only for professional programmers and the documentation would be according this.

Still, I'm not going to give up. I'm going to try to learn Qt/C++ despite of Nokia!

Also there is no focus on development tooling. as a professional software engineer, I expect to be able to code and develop in a good IDE which helps me.
I've never tried developing for apple, but given the number of apps I'm guessing they make it a whole lot easier to do than Nokia is making it for the N900.
I'm using Qt Creator and MADDE (on Windows 7) and I'm pretty satisfied on them, considering that MADDE is only a technology preview and is not yet integrated to Qt Creator. However, what I really would like to see, is the ability to make a Debian package that conforms to all the Maemo guidelines straight from Qt Creator by just clicking a button.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post: