View Single Post
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
This is wrong.

I'll use RevdKathy as an example.. I hope she doesn't mind. (...) We all volunteer to be here.. nobody is forced.
You just now described pretty much all forums I am part of... It doesn't even matter if it's owned by the manufacturer or not, there would be no reason to sign up on any forum if it weren't for the fantastic individuals like Kathy. I don't think having a core of users that contribute above all else is in any way different from every other forum.

What is unique about this forum, is that a very high percentage of the volunteers, Maemo platform contributors is active in one central forum. Also, that the platform has had very few users, actually, so these contributors are very visible. Sadly, eventually, there will be many more like me and a lower percentage of texrat.

The higher percentage of valuable contributors, the quicker will it attract non-contributing users that will make the high percentage of valuable contributors lower :B

I help people too, from time to time. I even consider discussions like this to be part of contributing in some way

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
As for this now being a user forum: that sounds like a case being made for separating the volunteer/developer community off from the users - and I personally believe that would be a tragedy.
I agree completely. I often do when you talk.

I don't think talk.maemo.org is a developer forum, I don't think it should be a developer forum and I don't think it ever again can be a developer forum. It's too important to the maemo users now. The curse of being the biggest forum for Maemo is that it will attract all the... special cases, too.

Last edited by volt; 2010-01-07 at 19:09.