View Single Post
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by davost View Post
Thanks for the good review. Interesting stuff. As much as I'd like to though, I sadly don't see the use of owning both the phones. One has to win I'm afraid.
I whole heartedly agree, the Nexus One was actually originally purchased for my mother to use with a new software allowing her massage business to be brought, more or less, to the 21st century. Sadly the same day the Nexus One arrived the screen on my N900 broke and I've borrowed the Nexus One till my N900 comes back from repairs.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Interesting, I've never gotten voice recognition to work on cell phones (and even Dragon Naturally Speaking and the one included with Windows Vista and Windows 7). I chalk it up to a combination of I speak fast, I sometimes pronouce words wrong, and I occasionally have a Chinese accent (all a result of me growing up in the formulative stages of language learning speaking Chinese and little English).

And seeing my Google Voicemail transcripts didn't have me exactly expecting that Google would do any better (though they do have a larger library of samples for the system to learn from). That's partially what GOOG411 and Google Voice are for (yes scary isn't it? )

I wonder how the Nexus would do with me. If you come to the get-together in D.C. in the off-topic forum if you bring the Nexus I wanna try out the voice recognition). I've tried the one on the iPhone (professor who loves Apple products had one) and I could never get it working reliabily.

Though how does it do with noise? I'm guessing you don't have to bring it up to your face to use the voice recognition since that would be a terrible design flaw to have to do that each time.
I do wonder how it would work for you, I speak as clear and monotone as possible just out of habit from other voice recog software so we'll have to wait to find out on that one. Hopefully I can make it to the DC meet up(only just stumbled on that thread earlier today and haven't had a chance to read when or where it is). As for noise, it has a backwards facing mic that cancels out background sounds. And I believe that helps a fair bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post: