View Single Post
Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
It's fine to be in love with the 770 / 800 tablets - as products, they deserve it. My overall subjective impression is that they are quite solid, and I think the Nokia software people deserve high praise for the end result.

I also think it is justifiable for Nokia to reserve OS and app enhancements for the N800's it2007 and later tablets.

I can't, however, be silent on Nokia dropping bugfix support on a device that's still being sold. I've only encountered one bug that hurts my efforts in porting games/emus (which is pretty good!) - but - this bug really hurts.

This frustration is tempered by the awareness that nothing comes close to the features provided by the 770/800 at this price point, and that i will, in time, find workarounds for my porting/development issues.
I'm with you there ArnimS. Good, solid devices and fairly stable software (considering today's complexity in all aspects of OS and software development), and aside from this being a more open ended mobile platform than any I've seen before, especially as this is still a fairly new genre of mobile devices. And all this at a really decent price, from a reputable mobile manufacturer is like living a very cool dream.

I also share your pain with the killing of 770 support, as it was most certainly a despicable move on Nokia's part, and I still believe that it has done more harm than good for those that are early adopters of the 770 as well as the second wave of customers purchasing or considering the purchase of the N800. And I firmly believe most new Internet Tablet customers take the plunge because of the community here and other great sites heavily promoting the coolness of the experience of owning these gadgets.

As far as development is concerned, I learned that depending on many elements to ensure future software compatibility is quite daunting when you intend to support two (or more) branches of an operating system, and that each has had it's fair share of issues to have to work around. I personally no longer trust my work to the horrors of an Application Manager either. Ironically, the option that might work for some of my projects will be by using Flash and the Opera browser to power them. Two of some of the major assets of these devices, yet the least involved when it comes to what the devices are capable of. I hope to change that a little, but we'll just have to see how Nokia decides for the devices to progress from here, as the ball is still in their court with the "not quite fully open source" issue. Time will tell, there's still a long ways for the concept to grow.
3pm - So good, it's illegal