View Single Post
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Good day everyone! - whilst i wait for Brainstorm to stop giving me network errors i thought i'd write this out.

Brainstorm link Here

The inital idea with thanks to benny1967 and ColonelKilkenny

The general aim of this brainstorming idea is to create/develop a 'Save Me' function for people who have run out of rootfs space on their N900, it could possibly have other functions too.

Now, i am very aware that people should not delve into the development or testing repositories without the sexy official warnings - but as they are available, they will get used. That means, as much as we warn people, and they know it is their responsibility..... They are still going to do it, and the questions for support will end up in these forums.

So the Brainstorm proposal, is for a 'Save me' tool/application (Or even a choice in the bootloader application! - possibly)

The save me tool should be able to, for now:
  • Recover space in the rootfs area
  • Be simple to understand for most users

I agree extra functionality to fix other problems could be added, but for now i would suggest the basic function is to save a user by removing apps/free up space.

Some suggestions are as follows:
  • Remove all extras-development applications
  • Remove selected development applications
  • Remove all unused packages (A bit like a windows file cleanuip wizard i suppose!)
  • Throw out some output to the user showing current status - therefore allowing feedback to this forum/clever people, if there are still problems.
(Possibly forcing a reboot after the un-installs etc)

I would be very interested to hear any possible other functions the saveme tool could have! - as well as any better suggestions above if needed?

Edit : Still trying to link and add solutions - its sooooooooo slow!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Last edited by noobmonkey; 2010-01-18 at 08:09. Reason: sandbox] 'Save Me' - A tool solving rootfs space issues

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post: