View Single Post
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
Ok you guys, thanks for helping a noob out to finding his way to extras-devel! I'm brave/foolish enough to dive in (my love of retro gaming makes me so).

And the result is - I am thoroughly impressed with SDLMAME. And you guys are underrating it - I've been playing some higher-res games and getting good frametrates, smooth gameplay, and acceptable (if a little choppy) sound. I am in heaven, really, this is going to only get better. A ton of thanks to you, Flandry.

So a few requests/suggestions (should I put these in the devel section? I don't know how to do that).

1) I'd like the GUI to start out stretched to fullscreen. It's incredibly tiny at first - but after you open a game that has a stretched aspect ratio, then exit the game, the menu keeps that stretched screen size. Would it be possible to simply have the menu start out at a fullscreen/stretched aspect ratio? It would be welcome.

2) Searching for games is confusing/awkward. A full alphabetical meta-list would be better than the way the current "smart-search by letter" functions.

Actually, it's not too bad now, but for some reason the search gets truncated. It would be better to get all the games that start with the letter that gets entered, and only begin to limit the search as more letters are added into the string.

Is there some sort of limit on how many games can be displayed in the list at once? I don't understand why entering "a" only gives games "aa through ac", when I've got games with "ad through az" in their title as well. The "a" search string should show all games that begin with the letter "a", and should only limit the results as more letters are added to the string. You get the idea.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that is a problem - I've only played a couple of games so far.

I look forward to everyone's suggestions about the best games to play. I'll say right now that out of two 1996 shmups, "Air Attack" runs smoothly at 0/10 skip, while "Air Gallet" crawls, but it's like watching anime on your N900!

Ed. Also would like to add for wish list - 1) Favorites folder
2) Possibly screenshot integration into GUI?!?!

And a couple of questions - 1) is there CHD support for SDLMAME at this point? Some CHD's are only about 100 MB, I would load them if the game was worth it. I don't know where to put the CHD file, though.
2) How to enter "random" for a random game? It says that in the default search string, but I don't know how to enact it.
How do you do the skip option? I see no menu option for this.

Fireshark, Tigerheli, DoDonPachi, DonPachi play much better than I expected.

Still, funny how I can not find the frame skip option.

BTW, Flandry has plans to improve the options and UI, so I am happy with the current progress and will wait for updates.

Thanks

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-20 at 17:25.