Thread: Apple iPad
View Single Post
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Apple makes a nice statement about scaling *up* UI development with this, and the importance of adding new content streams to their platform strategy is definitely key. But, this could have been done better if leverged more like an MS Courier (dual screens, sized like the MB Air) or in the software (the 10/GUI or Mag+ approaches here work).

It makes sense for where they are targeting - don't get me wrong. But better could and should have been done
If you consider this is just the start, what will next years device be like? Maybe it will have two screens. Maybe it will have new GUI improvements. And with hundreds more content providers clamouring to get on the iPad gravy train. It's a new product segment, and it's almost certain it will be successful. One thing is for sure, the new 2011 iPad OS will work fine on the 2010 model, something else Apple do right.

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
. Maemo is positioned really well in light of this - Ovi Store issues notwithstanding.
Really? I'm struggling to see how this impacts positively on Maemo right now, I truly am...

Apple have introduced a bunch of new virtual keyboards on the iPad while Maemo manages to redesign the Maemo virtual keyboard so that it is less usable than it was in 2005 - I bet all the Apple keyboards work very nicely too. It's annoying changes like that in Maemo that really show that Apple do care about what they develop (not saying there aren't people that care at Nokia/Maemo, but really some of the changes and features in Maemo5 are shockingly bad and shouldn't have gone out the front door).

While I may not be impressed by the iPad itself, I'm seriously impressed by the execution of Apple when it comes to developing their products which is something I fear Nokia will never achieve.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-01-27 at 20:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post: