View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Now, let me summarize the situation from a technical point of view (if you are looking for a business point of view you will need to ask a business representative).

- In the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit we announced the Nokia strategy of Maemo and Symbian adopting Qt for their application frameworks in order to provide a common API. One day apps will run in Maemo and Symbian seamlessly or with little porting effort.

- A lot of information was shared in the Maemo Summit about Harmattan / Maemo 6, including OMAP3, OpenGL ES, capacitive screen support and multitouch UI. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009 and feel free helping me extracting the useful information at http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...dmap/Harmattan

- It is also known that the Maemo 6 API will have it's baseline in Qt, with several variables to be defined in the first Harmattan SDK releases: compatibility of plain Qt APIs, selected Qt Mobility APIs, a Web runtime running on top of Qt-WebKit and an additional framework running on top of QGraphicsView.

- There was a timeline announcing a Harmattan alpha SDK release in 1Q2010 and a beta in 2Q2010.

- It is also known that Qt 4.6 is in its way of becoming officially supported in Maemo 5. Of course this Qt release for Maemo comes also with Qt-WebKit, QGraphicsView and the rest of the official Qt release. All these components are already in Extras-devel.

- Then in the Nokia Capital Markets it was announced that a Maemo 6 product will be delivered in 2H2010.

In my opinion all this is actually a lot of information already given about 'the next product' just when 'the current product' is hitting the shelves. Customers always want to know more! - I understand that, but you need to understand that we will keep informing about next releases and products when it's the right time.

And when it's the right time?

- In order to understand the compatibility between Maemo 5 and Maemo 6 at an API level at least a Harmattan alpha release needs to be out. From that point we will be able to discuss how easy/complex is to run/port apps between Maemo 5/6. This topic is specially interesting to developers in order to organize their work.

- In order to understand the compatibility between the N900 and the Maemo 6 product coming later this year such product needs to be announced.

I recommend you to enjoy Maemo 5 and to keep helping improving it (enjoying the act of collaboration as well). It works as advertized and it has plenty of potential - a potential that in big measure depends on yourselves. If you prefer to keep speculating that's fine but it is advisable that at least you enjoy while you are at it. Really, nobody is obliged to come here to suffer.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-01-29 at 06:48.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: