View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The problem I see is that the "Off Topic" becomes a sort of penal camp for threads that don't live up to somebody's (arbitrary and subjective) quality standards. The title "Off Topic" isn't just a row of letters... it means something. It means what it says: off topic. And it's described as "Totally unrelated but still worth discussing."

I can't do anything else than repeat:
How can topics about Maemo, Maemo applications, Maemo devices and the only manufacturer of Maemo devices (who happens to have created Maemo and distribiutes it and keeps it alive) can be "totally unrelated"?

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
There seems to be a feeling that 'general'='general maemo'. I've seen people complained at for starting Nokia threads there and the mods seem to move them out. If that's where they belong (which would work for me) then make it obvious.
I could live with a "Nokia" sub-forum side by side with the "General" forum, although I don't see how it's necessary... I mean, come on: Maemo stuff usually goes into the Maemo-[version-number]-subforum, device-specific stuff goes to the device-subforum, application specific... you get the picture. I don't see a real need for yet another sub-forum. There's probably even too many of them. - Still, it's a lot better than throwing these on-topic threads together with "I love my kitten so much!" threads @ "Off Topic".

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
There's also been an assumption of late that anything remotely light-hearted belongs in off topic. The 'n900 is for real men' thread is an example. This was not so even a couple of months ago. I find it sad, but suspect it's a reaction to comments about Noise.
It's more than sad... It's kind of bizarre. People who don't like noise shouldn't come to a place with 1,982 concurrent users in the first place. There are quiet invite-only places for such people.

Anything "light-hearted" is what makes me come here. I talk to people here, I don't operate robots. If threads like "n900 is for real men" are not welcome in the N900-subforum (hello??!! anybody listening? N900-subforum, N900-thread? does this ring a bell?), we should seriously consider changing the forum descriptions:
  • Maemo 5 / Fremantle
    Boring, miserable and dull stuff about the current release, codenamed Fremantle.
  • Nokia N900
    Boring, miserable and dull hardware-specific discussions about the fourth generation of Internet Tablets.
  • General
    Anything that's so convincingly boring, miserable and dull that it shouldn't be tied to a specific program, OS or device.
  • Off Topic
    You have fun with your Maemo device? Come here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: