View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
I'll try to explain my point of view:.
Thank you!

The problem (that I'm facing, I'm not speaking for other mods), is that we have to make decisions regarding the noise-to-signal ratio. I don't believe that a thread such as "N900 is for real men" deserves to be in the N900 sub forum: it doesn't discuss the hardware, it doesn't discuss *anything* specific to the N900. It's just a conglomeration of sexist comments, that don't add *anything* of value *AT ALL* !!!

If anyone believes that "Men DONT care about the SIZE!" "That's what she said!" "And no, she ain't got bigger balls than I do" is anywhere related to Maemo, maybe you should try to reconsider what Maemo means to you. (those are direct quotes from a thread that in the opinion
of benny1967 should be in the N900 forum).
Maybe it really helps to discuss the examples, not abstract concepts. Let's stay with this "true men" thread for a while:

The size of the N900 is what many people criticize when they see the device. Reviews say it's too big. Ahmed360 started a thread with a post that basically says: "To hell with all this talk about 'too big'. It's not, it's fine with me, and if you're a real man you don't mind the size..." (implying, of course, that you maybe are even proud of the buldge in your trousers.)

It's a statement about what he thinks about the device. Just as "The N900 is total crap" or "I love my N900 because it's black".
It should be in "N900".

About your "add *anything* of value *AT ALL* "-comment:
Well, probaby you're right, other than stating that the size of the device is fine for him, he doesn't add anything "of value".
But this is a forum, not a scientific research center. We talk here. It's not required to add anything of value. Posting screenshots of your N900 desktop doesn't add anything of value either. Still I love it when people do it. And because it's about their N900-desktop, it goes int he N900-section. As go discussions about the size of the device.

Please don't judge a book by its cover. The same rules for threads. Don't judge its "on-topicness" based solely on the thread name. If there are 3 useful posts, followed by 3 pages worth of discussion about the US Patent Office, I'm utterly sorry, but I'm tempted to just bunk the whole thing out of the window. And this is only one example.

I would like to see threads that only discuss one specific subject and die out once the topic has been taken care of. Having 2 billion "me too" messages doesn't help. Having half a million "nokia sucks" posts doesn't help. Yes, moderators could spend their time splitting off-topic posts from on-topic threads, but quite frankly I'm not going to do that.
This is something I just don't understand. I don't see the benefit of moving threads around (or splitting them) only because they derail on page 3. Anyone who follows a thread from the beginning will notice that now everything is said about the original topic and people now start drinking and chatting. So what? No harm done. Many will even join in and enjoy the party.
Still, the first 3 posts were on topic and remain on topic and there's no need for anybody to interfere.

The "I would like to see threads that only discuss one specific subject and die out once the topic has been taken care of"-part scares me, actually.
I better not say anything about it other than I don't want to be part of a community (it wouldn't be a community then, would it?) that's being handled that way.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: