View Single Post
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It's a statement about what he thinks about the device. Just as "The N900 is total crap" or "I love my N900 because it's black".
It should be in "N900".
I respectfully disagree, but in order to get things going, I'll let other community members add to this point.

But this is a forum, not a scientific research center. We talk here. It's not required to add anything of value.
I think this is where is the main misconception. In my mind, this forum is here to help people, to discuss things which will later help other people. This is true for the specifics of the hardware, this is true when referencing what applications allows to do what, and what the limitations are in different areas. I'm fine with all that. Even if bugs were being thoroughly discussed in Maemo 5 (Fremantle), I'd be absolute fine with it (as b.m.o isn't the place for that).

Now, this doesn't mean that the forum as a whole should be a dump. No, making a thread for the sole purpose of implying things about male anatomy isn't anything on-topic. It's downright outrageous anyone could believe that. It's not something that people will find useful later on, it's not something that's noteworthy. It's just someone who had a bit of a laugh, and shared it on a medium. A medium shaped to that effect: Off-Topic subjects.

Posting screenshots of your N900 desktop doesn't add anything of value either. Still I love it when people do it. And because it's about their N900-desktop, it goes int he N900-section. As go discussions about the size of the device.
Posting screenshots add a huge value to a forum. It allows newcomers to see what is possible. It allows people to understand how good, how hackable, how different our platform is. Again, if someone falls in the "share your screenshot" thread from Google, they will have useful information (images) readily available.

This is something I just don't understand. I don't see the benefit of moving threads around (or splitting them) only because they derail on page 3. Anyone who follows a thread from the beginning will notice that now everything is said about the original topic and people now start drinking and chatting. So what? No harm done. Many will even join in and enjoy the party.
Wrong. A forum is supposed to be a repository of information, at least that's how I see it. Again, from a new user perspective, the people who are searching for information, being able to find information quickly and precisely, without having to weed through tons of utterly useless posts is an important thing. If we do not hold ourselves against such a code, a simple code of forum hygiene, we are going to end up with the same issues, bugs, problems, and questions being brought up again, and again, and again.

Still, the first 3 posts were on topic and remain on topic and there's no need for anybody to interfere.
Excepted that now, people will keep going off-topic, and will keep increasing the noise-to-signal ratio, until at some point, nobody has a single clue about what the thread was about originally. How many people browse the forum by clicking on the small arrow leading to the last post? How many people look at the outcome of a specific thread before looking at the beginning. I'm betting a lot of people do. Why spend time reading through a thread which may turn out being pretty boring, right? This means that the subject of the thread is led by the back of the pack, which is completely unnatural. On the odd occasion you'll have the lone user who responds to the first thread after half the war is over, but those posts are forgotten and washed away by the off-topicness of the whole thing.

The "I would like to see threads that only discuss one specific subject and die out once the topic has been taken care of"-part scares me, actually.
I better not say anything about it other than I don't want to be part of a community (it wouldn't be a community then, would it?) that's being handled that way.
It's not being handled that way. Half the stuff is anarchy, because we (the moderators) scared of being too restrictive. Why would you be scared of having a tidy forum? Why is having a forum where posts remain on topic a scary thing?