View Single Post
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
If Nokia want to grow marketshare and remain as a big player in the mobile phone industry:
1) Ensure the previous phone can run the new updated os
2) Keep user and developers happy - user's library of applications will grow and allow user's to take the applications to the new phone too
3) This will attract more developers and more users to Nokia maemo-based devices
4) Third-party app developers may gain the confidence to charge users for apps if they wanted to. Nokia get revenue stream.
I completely agree with you in this nice summary. Especially the the first point is a very important issue. Other manufacturers also offer new OS versions to their customers - and heck I would even pay 5$ for a maemo 6 upgrade (yeah I know: it's OpenSource - but porting to the N900 might cost money).

I really hope that Nokia recognizes that the Smartphone-market is changing. I am not gonna buy a new device just to get a new OS version.
I believe that sales numbers for the N9xx (whatever it might be called) would probably not decrease if Nokia would offer an update to Maemo 6 to N900 users. I think showing their customers that devices get long-term support and updates makes those devices even more attractive.

If people want new hardware features (multitouch, better camera, ...) they should buy a new device. But if people only want a new OS they should be able to stick with their current device (as long as it is not older than 2 or 3 years).