View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Several peple very active in Talk have been mentioning here and there that MeeGo needs a forum. Let's Talk first here.

What scenario do we wish?

1. Empty Drupal in the lines of http://drupal.org/forum (meego.com sits on a Drupal CMS so this is the easiest solution).

2. Empty vBulletin (the software used here at Talk) for some reason to be detailed. I guess this would come with some help from Reggie since the web team probably is not familiar with it. Single Sign-on to be investigated.

3. Rename talk.maemo.org --> talk.meego.com. There might be some legal problems moving accounts with private data under another domain (no idea). Another problem, perhaps bigger, is to move all this crew there, leaving nothing for those not interested in 'MeeGo' (from strict N900 users not that interested in platform etc to people with a strong opinion about MeeGo for some reason, OS2008 users, etc).

There might be more sane solutions but none comes to my mind now. Some insane do come but I don't even dare to write them down.

My preferred? Start from scratch with a Drupal forum.

I don't see what features are so great in vBulletin and can't be found in Drupal's forum, but if you know them please share.

Just renaming this maemo.org Talk forum with a new theme sounds like a good idea when you first think of it. But then you keep thinking and imaging it and... it starts becoming scary. Like the internettablettalk.com move but multiplied exponentially?

Besides, there is a good point that we have started to learn after the N900 launch which is that a nice % of people are happy with Device X and wants to meet others discussing about Device X. Imagine that there is nn successful and diverse MeeGo devices within a year. What then?

Anyway. Thoughts?

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: