View Single Post
Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
That's only half the story though. If it's a simple standalone package, yes it'll work. If it integrates with the system (ie. init, associations/mimetypes, icons, other package configs in /etc, dependencies) it may not work..
I only gave an example for alien (as a reminder) not as a way to solve this mess. Also, I assumed the majority here knew about alien as you can see people here are preparing for a holy war around (RPM vs DEB).

That's why I didn't provide more information , anyway here is a nice quote:

Originally Posted by http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/
Alien should not be used to replace important system packages, like sysvinit, shared libraries, or other things that are essential for the functioning of your system. Many of these packages are set up differently by Debian and Red Hat, and packages from the different distributions cannot be used interchangably. In general, if you can't uninstall the package without breaking your system, don't try to replace it with an alien version.
Honestly , I don't care about (RPM vs DEB). People here seems scared about learning new things [Ubuntu users?] like (yum , rpm or even urpmi). While the others are scared from RPM dependency hell*. All what I can say, RPM issue might still be existed even that I am running centos without problem.

*For those whom are wondering what is that, It is a problem you might encounter that wont let you install your app/lib or whats ever, because of a requirement that couldn't be satisfied.
"Error: Missing Dependency: X is needed by package Y"
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding