View Single Post
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Here is my free self-expression:

Nokia delivered to me what they promised - a non-consumer device, which is rough around the edges and the 4th step out of 5 to a consumer device.

I'm unhappy about some parts of Maemo 5, because I think Nokia could have completed the process before release (e.g. long presses, no status bar in multitask or app view) and I don't see it as a big effort, just negligence.

I'm extremely happy about the N900 as this is my first smartphone I'm satisfied with. I am a smartphone user since 2005 (Nokia N90) - went through iPhone 3G, Android 1.5, several Symbian versions.

I think Nokia has messed up by not thinking about the Maemo-line and not taking care of the clear change plan, the upgrade path from Maemo 5 to MeeGo.

I did not expect so many applications already and I wet my pants, when I heard that Qt 4.6 is coming much earlier then I was expecting (Maemo 6).
Providing application compatibility between Maemo 5, Maemo 6/MeeGo.

I also expected that GTK will be officially dropped and I'll lose most of my fav apps w Maemo 6. Instead, GTK is part of MeeGo for compatibility. Very happy!

I blame Nokia for not being able to explain the Qt/GTK news properly and not making the biggest marketing out of this for current N900 users.

I wish Nokia would simply put MeeGo on N900 and cough up the expenses for maintaining a non-multitouch, resistive screen version until end of 2011. I blame Nokia for not answering this question already on Monday.

I am unhappy about Ovi Maps on N900, this is pure ******** (awaiting banhammer). However, if the April rumour comes through I will forgive Nokia due to giving me free voice navi.

I wish Nokia would now settle for MeeGo, so I could benefit from an ecosystem of not half-million devices (guessing?), but millions.

Nokia made me so happy w the MeeGo decision, that I'm spending my freetime (which I don't have) with learning Qt (I'm not a developer), adding wiki pages to MeeGo site and trying to explain to people, why MeeGo is the best thing for us N900 owners.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Last edited by RenegadeFanboy; 2010-02-20 at 09:38. Reason: bad punctuation, worse English :)