View Single Post
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
I am a late adopter of a N810 (June 2009) when they were apparently on their way to be (if not already were) discontinued.

I am interested in simply using it. I think it is a very capable device as-is, including the OS, but every version of Maemo is a little weak in some specific application areas like PIMs, office type apps (not as weak as PIMs though), and internet browsing could be specifically improved with better flash support (an "Internet Tablet" but no real flash support?).

I'm a career network engineer so I know good and useful devices when I see them, but there's really not much I can do to help improve them other than testing, which I am more than happy to do.

This is my first "open" device, so I'm far more used to just paying for what I need and the financial support tends to result in getting additional improvements or apps that I want. I know the open community doesn't work that way, but to answer the last question, if a working PIM was released, better flash support in the internet browser, and nice port of OpenOffice was made available for the N810, I would gladly pay for it!

With regard to Mer, I admire the endeavor and those involved in the undertaking, but I think that the contributor's talents would be better spent developing apps or at least ports for Diablo. I'm afraid that by the time Mer is anywhere close to "ready" there won't be any devices to run it on because the N800/N810 will be beyond its useful life.