View Single Post
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
So let's see... you put your debit card into a bank machine, and I clone it. You get your card back, in the same state you (voluntarily) put it in the machine and can still continue to use it. So I've taken nothing from you - no foul and no crime, right?

Except that I can also use the clone of your card to achieve the same purpose you use it for - namely removing money from your bank account.

Whether the actual article is removed from the original owner suddenly becomes irrelevent to the discussion, no?

As a writer, I hold copyright on everything I write. I feel very strongly that that copyright is important. I choose to make some of my writings freely available - but that's my choice and I retain the copyright. If people wish to sell access to the materials they create, I believe they have that right, even if I choose not to. Taking their creativity is a form of theft, even if they are not deprived of the original.